MongoDB is an open-source, cross-platform document-oriented database program that stores data in JSON-like formats.
In this post, we will go through the best books to learn about MongoDB. Before going through the list, let’s learn some basics about the MongoDB program.
MongoDB is developed by MongoDB Inc. and is licensed under the Server Side Public License (SSPL).
It gives you the scalability and flexibility that you want with the querying and indexing that you need.
The document model of MongoDB is pretty simple for developers to learn and use.
As mentioned before, MongoDB stores data in flexible, JSON-like documents that means the fields can differ from document to document and the data structure can be changed over time.
MongoDB is free to use and is a highly scalable, flexible, and distributed NoSQL database.
So that’s a small introduction to MongoDB.
Let’s go through the best collection of books on mastering the MongoDB database.
Best MongoDB Books for Developers
1. MongoDB: The Definitive Guide: Powerful and Scalable Data Storage
MongoDB: The Definitive Guide is a great book that offers a broad and deep starting point on using MongoDB.
This book will teach you how to how to build a secure and high-performance system that enables flexible data models, high availability, and horizontal scalability.
It is written by Shannon Bradshaw, Eoin Brazil, and Kristina Chodorow who have extensive experience of MongoDB.
What You Will Learn
- How to work with MongoDB and perform write operations, find documents, and create complex queries.
- How to index collections, aggregate data, and use transactions for your applications.
- Easily configure a local replica set and learn how replication interacts with your applications.
- Learn to set-up cluster components and choose a shard key for a variety of applications.
- Learn about application administration and configure authentication and authorization.
- Knowledge to use stats when monitoring, backup, and restore deployments, and use system settings when deploying MongoDB.
All in all, a highly recommended book that is a must-have for you.
2. Mastering MongoDB 4.x: Expert techniques to run high-volume and fault-tolerant database solutions using MongoDB 4.x
Mastering MongoDB 4.x is a good book to learn MongoDB.
It is targeted towards MongoDB developers and database administrators who are looking to become successful MongoDB experts and want to gain skills to build the scalable and fault-tolerant applications.
To get the best value out of this book, a basic understanding of MongoDB and basic database concepts is required.
After the completion of this book, you will be able to administer database applications both on-premise and on the cloud and also the know-how to scale database applications across servers.
What You Will Learn
- Skills to perform advanced querying techniques such as indexing and expressions.
- How to configure, monitor, and maintain a highly scalable MongoDB environment.
- How to master replication and data sharding in order to optimize read/write performance.
- Knowledge to administer MongoDB-based applications on-premise and also in the cloud.
- How to integrate MongoDB with big data sources to process large amounts of data.
- How to deploy MongoDB on Kubernetes containers.
- How to use MongoDB in the Internet of Things, mobile, and serverless environments.
3. MongoDB Basics
As the title of this book suggests, it is a book for novices and will teach you the basics of MongoDB.
If you are looking for a quick and easy-to-understand introduction to MongoDB and NoSQL databases then this is the book for you.
You will learn how a document-oriented database system varies from a relational database, how to install MongoDB and get started with it
This book also covers MongoDB design basics such as geospatial indexing, how to navigate, view, and query your database, and finally how to use GridFS by using Python.
So basically a quick reference guide to MongoDB basics.
4. NoSQL with MongoDB in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself
NoSQL with MongoDB in 24 Hours is a good introduction to the NoSQL concept and using MongoDB.
AS the NoSQL database usage is growing at a rapid rate of 50% per year, learning MongoDB makes sense.
This book provides step-by-step instructions on how to learn NoSQL development tasks using MongoDB.
You will get plenty of real-world and hands-on examples that will show you how to apply what you will learn throughout this book.
Similarly, you will find quizzes and exercises that will test your knowledge and will help in absorbing the information contained in this book.
What You Will Learn
- How to design and implement MongoDB databases.
- How to store and interact with data via Java language, PHP programming, Python language, and Node.js/Mongoose.
- How to choose the right NoSQL distribution model for your application.
- Learn how to install and configure MongoDB.
- How to design MongoDB data models, such as collections, indexes, and GridFS.
- Learn to master advanced techniques such as sharding and replication.
5. MongoDB in Action
MongoDB in Action is a highly recommended book for anyone who is interested in getting into a NoSQL or MongoDB domain.
It is targeted at developers and assumes no previous knowledge of MongoDB or NoSQL.
It is a completely revised and updated version that will introduce you to MongoDB 3.0 and the document-oriented database model.
You will learn about indexes, queries, and standard DB operations, aggregation and text searching, map-reduce for custom aggregations, and reporting and deploying for scale and high availability.
All in all, a good book to start learning about MongoDB and is great for developers and database administrators as well.
So these are the 5 best MongoDB books for developers.
We hope these books on MongoDB will make you a better MongoDB developer and administrator.
You Might Also Like
- 7 Best Flutter Books for Mobile Developers and Programmers
- 5 Best Dart Programming Books For Programmers & Developers
- 7 Best Java Books to Learn Java for Java Programmers
- 7 Best C# Books for Programmers and Developers
- 7 Best CSS Books for Web Designers & Developers
- 5 Best Julia Programming Books for Programmers and Developers
- 5 Best Xamarin Books for Mobile Application Development
- 5 Best Ruby Books for Beginners & Advanced Programmers
- 7 Best Swift Programming Books for Learning iOS Development
- 7 Best Go Programming Books for Programmers
- 7 Best C Programming Books for Programmers & Developers
- 7 Best React Programming Books for Programmers & Developers
- 7 Best Scala Books for Beginners & Advanced Programmers
Wishing you the best of luck in your way to become a successful MongoDB developer.