Flutter is a free, open-source UI framework and software development kit (SDK) created by Google.
In this article, we will look at some of the best books to learn Flutter. Before that let’s know a bit more about the Flutter framework.
With Flutter, you can develop native-like mobile apps for Android, iOS, Mac, Linux, and the web simultaneously with the use of a single codebase.
The first version of Flutter was given the codename as “Sky” and used to run on the Android operating system.
Flutter uses Dart as its language. It makes it easier to build a rich, powerful, and intuitive user interface (UI).
Flutter has a growing community while will be quite helpful for you to learn it.
Some of the advantages of using Flutter are:
Flutter provides excellent performance – Due to its architecture and design, it aims to provide 60 or 120 frames per second (FPS) performance on devices that are capable of 120Hz screen refresh rates. So, it allows you to build responsive and user-friendly apps.
Flutter has less code – You can practically reuse 100% of the Flutter code. This leads to a faster development process and as a result, this makes your product less susceptible to errors.
Flutter has excellent support for native modules such as cameras, networks, geolocation, and storage.
Let’s go through the best collection of books on learning the Flutter.
Best Flutter Books for Programmers & Developers
1. Beginning Flutter: A Hands-On Guide to App Development
Beginning Flutter is a great introduction to Flutter.
After reading this book, you will be able to build your first app in Flutter even though you have no previous experience.
Beginning Flutter: A Hands-On Guide to App Development is ideal for both experienced and beginner developers who are interested in learning Flutter.
This book is a step-by-step guide to make beautiful and powerful apps for both iOS and Android users using Flutter.
What You Will Learn
- Learn everything about Flutter such as the frameworks, widgets, and tools available to developers.
- You will be able to fast-track your app development process by keeping all the code for your cross-platform app in a single code base.
- Plenty of helpful examples to handle common problems.
It is an overall good book to start with Flutter.
2. Beginning App Development with Flutter: Create Cross-Platform Mobile Apps
It is a good book to get introduced to Flutter.
Beginning App Development with Flutter provides information in a way that’s very easy to follow and all the chapters flow together in a seamless manner.
This book is most suited for developers who have coding experience in Java, C#, C++, or any similar programming language.
With this book, you will be able to create iOS and Android apps with Flutter by using just one simple codebase.
All the complex concepts are explained by using a number of examples and pictures.
What You Will Learn
- You will develop a basic understanding of the Dart programming language.
- Get a working knowledge of the architecture of apps.
- Learn to work with themes and styles.
- Skills to develop custom widgets.
- Train your apps to respond to gestures like swipes, taps, and pinches.
- How to design, create, and control the layout of your apps.
- How to handle form data entry from app users.
- Create multiscreen apps with features such as navigation, menus, and tabs.
Highly recommended book to become fluent in Flutter.
3. Flutter for Beginners: An introductory guide to building cross-platform mobile applications with Flutter and Dart 2
Flutter for Beginners is an excellent resource for building Flutter apps.
This book covers all the topics that you will need to know in order to make beautiful and powerful apps using Flutter.
This book is ideal for mobile developers who are looking to learn Flutter – Google’s revolutionary framework for building apps.
No previous knowledge of Flutter or Dart is required to get value out of this book.
It is a step-by-step guide for learning Flutter and Dart 2 for creating powerful Android and iOS mobile applications for users.
After reading this book, you will be proficient with Dart programming and will gain the skills to develop your own mobile apps.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the basics of Dart programming and Flutter development.
- Learn about native SDK and 3rd party libraries for building Android and iOS applications using Flutter.
- Learn about the core concepts of Flutter UI and how it compiles for multiple platforms.
- Create Flutter plugins and widgets.
- Learn the difference between stateful and stateless widgets.
- How to add animation to your UI using the Flutter’s AnimatedBuilder component.
This book provides a great introduction to a wide range of Flutter concepts so therefore a must-have in your library.
4. Learn Google Flutter Fast: 65 Example Apps
Learn Google Flutter Fast: 65 Example Apps is a book that starts with some background information about Flutter and then goes on to provide 65 different examples of completed mini-apps.
In this book, you will learn about the introduction to Flutter, how to install Flutter, build your first Flutter App, all about dependencies & packages, introduction to widgets & composition, what are stateless widgets, and stateful widgets.
Overall an excellent book and we really recommend it for getting started with the Flutter experience.
5. Flutter in Action
Flutter in Action is a useful book for beginners and is a great resource once you already know the basics.
It is written by Eric Windmill who is a professional Dart developer and a contributor to open-source Flutter projects.
In this book, you’ll learn how to build highly professional-quality mobile applications using the Flutter SDK and the Dart programming language.
The book is filled with lots of diagrams, code examples, and useful annotations that will make your learning Flutter a joy.
We would say it is a must-have reference if you want to be a Flutter mobile apps developer.
6. Practical Flutter: Improve your Mobile Development with Google’s Latest Open-Source SDK
Practical Flutter is a great book for both intermediate and advanced developers who wants to learn Flutter.
You need to have a basic knowledge of iOS and Android along with some general programming experience to make full use of this book on Flutter.
What You Will Learn
- Learn how to start a Flutter project and then logically structure it.
- How to use the UI elements that Flutter provides such as widgets, controls, and extensions.
- How to build layouts using the interface elements.
- How to leverage server-side development and then connect a Flutter app to a server backend.
A practical approach to learn Flutter.
7. Flutter Projects: A practical, project-based guide to building real-world cross-platform mobile applications and games
Flutter Projects has lots of projects covered that are diverse and well-explained.
This book provides 11 real-world apps projects that will help you learn cross-platform mobile development with Flutter and Dart.
It is targeted at mobile developers who want to learn Flutter for building state-of-the-art mobile apps.
After completion of this book, you will be able to write and code fully functional mobile apps using Flutter programming.
What You Will Learn
- How to design reusable mobile architectures.
- Learn error handling and debugging for mobile application development.
- How to manage an app’s state with streams and the BLoC pattern.
- How to build a simple web application using Flutter Web.
A great book to master Flutter.
So these are the 7 best Flutter programming books for programmers and mobile developers.
We hope these books on Flutter will make you a better Flutter language developer.
You Might Also Like
- 5 Best Dart Programming Books For Programmers & Developers
- 7 Best React Programming Books for Programmers & Developers
- 7 Best Scala Books for Beginners & Advanced Programmers
- 7 Best Java Books to Learn Java for Java Programmers
- 7 Best C# Books for Programmers and Developers
- 7 Best CSS Books for Web Designers & Developers
- 5 Best Ruby Books for Beginners & Advanced Programmers
- 7 Best Swift Programming Books for Learning iOS Development
- 7 Best Go Programming Books for Programmers
- 5 Best Julia Programming Books for Programmers and Developers
- 5 Best Xamarin Books for Mobile Application Development
- 7 Best C Programming Books for Programmers & Developers
Wishing you the best of luck in your way to become a successful Flutter mobile developer.