Google Drive is a file storage and synchronization service provided by Google.
The service comes with a number of features such as online document, photo, and video editors which allow users to create and edit files directly from the web browser.
In this article, we will look at Google Drive in detail and will try to answer all your questions with regards to this most popular online file storage service by Google.
What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is a web-based file storage and service-hosting service created by Google in April 2006. It allows for storage and sharing of files in different formats, such as images, videos, and PDF files. Documents can be shared in real-time with any Gmail user.
- Share documents with anyone, anytime.
- Access and edit your files from anywhere.
- Spend less time worrying about lost or stolen devices.
- Stay productive on the go.
How does Google Drive work?
Google Drive is a platform that lets you create, manage, share and store files online.
Every Google account comes with 15 GB of free storage, enough for most people’s needs. All you need to do is install the Google Drive app on your computer or mobile device-or both-wait a minute while it syncs up, and start saving right from your desktop.
Google Drive works automatically in the background so that files are copied to a laptop or phone whenever they’re made or modified on a computer online.
Files stored on external hard drives connected to a desktop will similarly be automatically copied onto Google Drive, but if they’re stored too far away from an internet connection then uploading may take hours instead of seconds.
It’s possible to store photos and videos, documents, spreadsheets and thousands of other kinds of files safely with Google Drive.
It’s the first cloud storage app of its kind on Android — one that gives you access to all your phone’s files from any computer, whether it be a PC running Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
Google Drive can also be used with an iPhone or iPad, but only if you have iOS 6 installed. The mobile apps are free to download from the Google Play store, while the PC or Mac client is only available when you sign in to your Google account.
You can install the client on as many computers and devices as you like, but you’ll only get to use 15 GB of storage with each one. However, if you prefer to use Google Drive through a web browser then you can access it from any device that has internet access.
What is Google Drive used for?
Google Drive is a free cloud storage service that also contains components such as Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides.
It is available on mobile devices and desktop computers. The service allows users to access their files from different devices and make edits to them.
With the service’s automatic saving function, users don’t need to worry about losing any of their work.
How to download Google Drive?
To download Google Drive, you’ll need to create an account and then install the application on your computer. You can also use Google Drive via their website made just for that.
To create an account, go to https://drive.google.com/start and click “Get Started“. Follow the instructions there for creating your new account.
You can then download Google Drive by following this link . You’ll just need to choose which computer or device you want to install on, give it permission, and wait for the download to finish.
Once it’s downloaded, you’ll have Google Drive installed on your computer or device!
How to access Google Drive?
Enter google drive through a browser. If you have a Google account, enter your username and password, then press the ‘Sign In‘ button.
Once you have been authenticated, press the “Start using Drive” button.
How to use Google Drive?
Google Drive is a cloud storage and file management service for your computer and mobile devices.
You can use Google Drive to collect, manage and share photos, videos, and files from any device by creating a shared folder or uploading files directly to online storage.
You can also access everything on the go with the Google Drive app on your phone or tablet.
How to share a File on Google Drive?
You need to follow the below steps to share a file with others.
- The first step is to select the file that you want to share with others.
- Click “Share“.
- Under “Share with people and groups,” you have to enter the email address that you want to share the file with.
- You can change what people can do to your file, on the right, click the “Down” arrow.
- Now choose to notify people.
- Finally, click “Share or Send”.
How to share a Folder on Google Drive?
You need to follow the below steps to share a folder with others.
- The first step is to select the folder that you want to share with others.
- Click “Share“.
- Under “Share with people and groups,” you have to enter the email address that you want to share the folder with.
- You can change what people can do to your folder, on the right, click the “Down” arrow.
- Now choose to notify people..
- Finally you have to click “Share or Send”.
How to upload a video to Google Drive?
You can upload videos to Google Drive by signing in to the Google Drive site with your Google account, selecting a file from your computer, and clicking “Upload” from the left navigation.
The video will upload to a folder on Google Drive. To keep things organized, files in the same folder are grouped together.
A group of videos is called a “shared album”. You can monitor the progress of your file uploads by checking out the shared album’s home page or notifications tab.
How to upload photos to Google Drive?
You need to follow the below steps:
- Open your Android phone or tablet and then open the Google Drive app.
- Tap on “Add”.
- Tap “Upload”.
- Find and tap the photos that you want to upload.
- View uploaded photos in “My Drive” until you move them.
How to upload files to Google Drive?
On the web browser, go to https://drive.google.com and sign in with Gmail account, username and password
In the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen choose any necessary file from your computer’s hard drive or from a third party service
Click Upload button.
Enter a title for the document. If the uploaded file contains text, this name will appear in search results.
How to delete files from Google Drive?
Open your Google Drive. On the left, you should see a list of your files and folders. Find the file you want to delete and click on it once to select it. Now, either:
- Drag and drop the file into the trash icon at the top right of the window (or press “delete”); or
- Right click on the file, then choose “Delete” from the menu that pops up; or
- Click on “More” at the bottom right of the screen and click on Delete File.
How to edit a PDF in Google Drive?
- Click on the PDF file that you want to edit.
- You can now read the entire PDF.
- Click Open with Google Docs.
- Google Drive will automatically convert the PDF to a document that you can edit easily.
How to copy a folder in Google Drive?
Right-click the folder and select “Copy“. Next, navigate to where you want to paste the folder, right-click, and select Paste. That’s all there is to copying Google Drive folders.
How secure is Google Drive?
Google Drive is an extremely secure cloud-based storage system. It uses AES-256 encryption to scramble user data, meaning it’s virtually impossible for anyone to access your information.
Google also encrypts your data when it is in transit over the internet, meaning that even if your connection is compromised there is no risk of someone seeing your files.
How long does it take Google Drive to process a video?
It depends on the internet speed. If you are uploading a 10 minute video it could take up to 15 minutes to process the video.
How to select multiple files in Google Drive?
- Select the first file by clicking on it.
- Click the remainder of the files while holding down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- Perform the action you want on the files you’ve chosen.
How to remove access to Google Drive?
- Open Google Drive.
- Choose a file or a folder.
- Click Share.
- Find the individual with whom you don’t want to share anymore.
- Click the Down arrow to the right of their name and then click “Remove”.
- Click “Save” to save your changes.
How to pin Google Drive to taskbar?
- Open Windows search box.
- In the search box, you need to type Google Drive.
- Now you need to choose the “Pin to taskbar” button on the app bar by right-clicking “Google Drive” in the search results.
How to backup Google Drive?
- Go to Google Driver in web.
- On the bottom left under “Storage,” you have to click the number.
- On the top right, click “Backups”.
- Choose an option: View details about a backup: Right-click the backup Preview. Delete a backup: Right-click the backup Delete Backup.
How to empty trash on Google Drive?
To empty your trash on Google Drive, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click “Delete files” under Trash. This will allow you to permanently delete all items in your trash.
How to recover deleted files from Google Drive?
- From your computer, you have to go to https://drive.google.com/drive/trash.
- Then you have to right-click the file that would like to recover.
- Finally click on “Restore” button and you are done.
So these are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Google Drive file storage program.
We will keep updating this article to include more topics for you to explore.
Thanks for reading!
You Might Also Like
- Backend Development Tools
- Best Front End Development Tools
- Best Programming Languages for Android Apps Development
- What is Xamarin and How does it Work?
- What is Kotlin and How Does Kotlin Work?
- What is CSS and How does CSS Work?
- What is Google Docs and How Does Google Docs work?
- What is MATLAB and How does MATLAB works?
- What is HTML and How does HTML works?
- What is Dropbox and How does Dropbox work?